Mustering a Happy Ending

img_0245

It’s hard to say this, because a lot of people are throwing around the words “special little snowflake” like they’re the most clever adjective inventors in history, but I’m very depressed about our country.

I used to be moderate about politics, somewhere in the middle seemed the most sane to me. But now it seems there’s no middle.

I’m so disillusioned with people who claim to be Christians supporting Trump. Making excuses for him. Saying things like, “But Hillary…” as if that makes him a viable alternative. It makes me feel physically ill. He is everything Christ was not, in almost every possible way. I could list the bible verses to back that up, but that would just end up being the entire new testament.

I deactivated Facebook. It was too much. I couldn’t stand the articles popping up in my news feed. I couldn’t stand seeing old friends berating other old friends online, with zero compassion or care in the way they spoke to each other.

This is not a happy-feely blog post. I don’t have a good ending or a positive spin to sum things up. I’m just disgusted and angry. And underneath it all is sadness, sadness that this is not the country I thought it was. So since I don’t have a better way to wrap up my feelings, I’ll discuss my favorite house of all time.

I took this picture in Vermont in a tiny town in the Green Mountains. The sun was going down and it was snowing.  My heart stopped a little. It was one of those moments where I saw it and thought, “Oh please let me live in a place that looks exactly like this at least once in my lifetime it’s like my dreams just came to life with framing and electricity.”

And I suppose if there’s any positive way to spin things, it’s that beyond the political and beyond this country and beyond angry people, we still have our dreams. My dream is a little Victorian house in the snow. Actually, my dream is really the life that could take place in a little Victorian house in the snow. The meals I could cook in it. The friends that could visit it. The books I could write in it. The evenings spent with open windows and breezes and bird sounds.

Your dream may be owning a yoga studio or becoming a dog trainer. And no matter how dark the landscape looks around us, we have to keep fixed on those dreams.

So you keep watching whatever you’re watching (cake making, baby raising, company running, money investing, yarn spinning) and I’ll keep my eye on this little purple house with a whole world inside it, just full of potential.

And if I have to write letters or make phone calls or march in the streets, I’ll do that too.

I guess I mustered a happy ending after all.

1. arlockshier says:

Liz, I have enjoyed and appreciated your writing for years, from Mabel’s House to today. I relate so much to your journey and your desire for authenticity. The negativity, anger, fear, and overall “us vs them” mentality that abounds currently has been difficult for me to bear as well. I have recently discovered the writing and commentary of Charles Eisenstein and have found it to be very helpful in finding my balance and perspective in this tumultuous time. I thought I would share in case his words might be a help to you as well. Thank you for sharing yourself. ~Allison

2. Lorea Jones says:

Liz, you summed up in so many ways the very questions I have been asking myself and wishing I could ask some of the good Christians that voted for him. How can you square up your moral values with someone who seems to not have any. You are right we must keep dreaming and hoping that the world is a better place for all. Thanks Lorea

Liked by 1 person

3. Josette Kiel says:

Thank you for publishing this. I too am in a suspended state of disbelief. How could any single person vote for DJT, much less 60 million? The lies, ramblings and self- absorption are things that should fill a psychology character study, not be attributes of a president. I’ve seen other bloggers stay silent in deference to readers’ potential differences of opinion. This is a time for speaking out and glad to see you have-

Liked by 1 person

4. Diane says:

I think along the same lines as you. I have a friend that spouts Christianity and how evil Liberals are, and yet she voted for DJT. Makes absolutely no sense to me, so-called Christians who enjoy seeing him take away government programs that help those that have less. I was a young single mother and used Planned Parenthood for all of my reproductive health needs for decades because it is what was affordable for me. I shake my head and hope that as Conservatives see their own liberties taken away that they will finally understand why Hillary would have been the better choice. My stomach churns on a daily basis, so I have been staying away from Facebook more and more and don’t engage, even with those who have been friends for decades. They confuse and disappoint me and won’t listen to reasonable conversations on the issues, but instead name call.

I’m thinking Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg in 2020.

Liked by 1 person

5. Julie E S Harris says:

I have been percolating on your post a bit. I too have been disappointed in the rhetoric of late, and have been since last summer. I wrestled with whether to deactivate my own account. I have had live conversations with all sides — civil actually — but I am struck by the diversity of opinion. The same incident has people seeing multiple emphases, though honestly I’ve heard many solid conservatives disagree with parts of Trumps’s ideas and nominations and then agree with others. I’ve heard hysterical comments on all sides — often with little regard for others, decency, and/or facts. Then, tragically, I’ve seen it lived out too much.

As I debated pulling away from all the social media, I remembered something from Admiral Nelson. His last order was “engage the enemy more closely.” That made me reconsider leaving it. The enemy is not “them” or “the other side” politically, but rather the lack of kindness and consideration which is consuming us. So I have tried, and continue to try, to be deliberate and encouraging in whatever I post. Sometimes I fail. Sometimes I even get sucked in by the trolls who lurk in the comments, she said ironically. Yet, as long as I decide to stay, I continue to make that commitment. I don’t fault anyone else from needing to clear their head space, though.

Then this morning I heard “The Age of Not Believing” from Bedknobs & Broomsticks, and this I think relates directly to some of the disappointment many feel and the frustrations that run rampant around us. “We rush around in hopeless circles, doubting everything we ever knew.” Oh, doesn’t that sound familiar! Countries and nations go through cycles — not very predictable when, but they do. We take Andrew Jackson off the $20 and elect him to the presidency again. Wow. Oh Dear. Yet, one of those cycles is when we stop believing in everyone around us.

G.W. Bush at the memorial in Dallas this past summer said: “Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions. And this has strained our bonds of understanding and common purpose. But Americans, I think, have a great advantage. To renew our unity, we only need to remember our values. We have never been held together by blood or background. We are bound by things of the spirit, by shared commitments to common ideals. At our best, we practice empathy, imagining ourselves in the lives and circumstances of others. This is the bridge across our nation’s deepest divisions.”

We stopped believing it was possible. Or we stopped believing everyone else wanted this. Some do. Some don’t. But we have to set aside childhood and begin to work toward that goal believing it is possible, even allowing one another to disagree.

This got more elaborate and philosophical than I intended, but that’s what happens when I’m up late. We have so much to love each other for, and even in disappointment, we must reach for new ways to engage one another with kindness. Thank you for the purple house to contemplate.

My contribution is that my three-year old decided that Donald Trump is coming to our house to play rocket ships. (I have no idea — don’t ask me.) So far, no motorcade, but that doesn’t stop my son for insisting that we include Trump coming to play in his nightly prayers. Meanwhile, I have a hopeful second adoption to plan for, two baby showers for other friends to plan, and today my son learned how to make a capital J. It was a good day.

Liked by 1 person

6. Jeanie says:

So many people feel the same, Liz. Bravo to you for sharing your feelings with us. And I love that little purple house, too. When I first saw the picture, I thought it was your new home. Maybe that’s a sign.

7. Michele says:

Hi Liz – I love your dream home and the life you imagine there. I love that despite the craziness in our country right now you hold onto your vision and inspiration. We need more of that! Thank you for continuing to blog and gift us the experience of sharing your thoughts. Hugs!

Liked by 1 person