Le Trolls

c024fefd4689e53343db60b996759672 (1)

*Shout out to artist Sara Zimmerman’s awesome skills here.

I’ve dealt with internet trolls and “anonymous” comments on my blog for years. All of us who have had blogs for extended periods of time know that feeling when you get an email notifying you of a comment, and after barely making it through the first sentence you think, “Oh, great. This again.” But, you learn to live with it. It’s the nature of the beast sometimes, usually few and far between, and you just delete and try not to dwell on the words.

But since the divorce it’s turned into a different kind of trolling. It’s been far more personal. These trolls have an agenda. Just this weekend it happened again.

The general consensus among most of us bloggers is, “Ignore it. Don’t feed the trolls.” And that’s what I’ve done. This past year I’ve hit the delete button on all those “anonymous” comments coming from IP addresses in Houston (although don’t they know by now there’s no such thing as anonymity on the internet). Not only is what they say hateful, it’s misguided and misinformed, they don’t know me. They’re people operating off hearsay, a mob-bullying flying-monkey mentality,  with an excessive amount of time to navel gaze, and some deep personal anger that would drive them to take the time to read the blog of someone they dislike for the simple joy of leaving jagged barbs behind their wake.

As an aside these jagged barbed comments usually contain terrible grammar. This always makes me smile.

The world has enough trolls. The world has enough bullies. The world has enough cowards who hide behind fake profile names. The world has enough arm chair quarterbacks who are quick to cut the legs out from under someone while they have a plank the size of Long Island sticking out of their own eye. Don’t add to their numbers.

And to the Texas trolls out there, I feel sorry for you. I mean, I find you utterly creepy and distasteful, but I do feel sorry for you. You’re probably very sad, unhappy, bitter people. Reading about people who are happy, or trying to be good parents, or generally just moving on with their lives in a positive direction must be like salt in your wounds.

But enough is enough. I will not hesitate to publicly expose people who post here anonymously or otherwise engage in smear campaigns about me or my family. Enough with the bullies. Enough with the trolls.

Get a life.

Get a hobby.

Get some therapy.

Don’t be creepy.

Stop being so full of hate.

And feel free to rejoin us when you’re ready to be a decent human being again.

1. I will never understand the compulsion to spend your time on the internet being negative. If you don’t like a person/place/thing why dwell on it, why spend your time being nasty & rude? The internet is HAS EVERYTHING surely there is something for everyone to be happy & excited about. Anyway, sorry for the trolls – I’ve been reading your blog for years and I am so happy for you! ❤

Liked by 3 people

2. CandiceMcC says:

Sigh… Why they gotta be in Houston? I’ll represent the nice people of the city. 🙂 I wish people were nicer in real life and online. I’ve been struggling with this lately–so much so that I needed a social media break. Props to you for handling it. I love reading you and hope you keep blogging. I just selfishly want to move to NY with you.

Liked by 1 person

3. SueZK says:

I have followed you for a while now and have nothing but respect for how you have taken charge of your life. Don’t let the trolls get to you. You are a beautiful intelligent woman who is finding her way at long last and its great to watch. You and Jane are adorable

Liked by 1 person

4. drharris1215 says:

I’ve always thought such folks, including people who write virus programs, have too much time on their hands. They need to come mow my lawn, pull weeds or paint my porch because obviously they don’t have enough to do. Maybe that could work as a rehabilitation program. 😉

Liked by 2 people

5. Heidi says:

I just cannot understand people who get joy out of trying to tear other people down. There is so much happiness in lifting others up and being supportive and caring. Good for you for bringing a troll out of darkness and sticking up for yourself and your family – Jane is blessed to have such a strong role model and so much love surrounding her.

Liked by 1 person

6. Cheryl says:

I live in Houston too….sigh…I promise this isn’t a city of trolls…..but I thought it was amazing that you confronted that Sam guy. I wish I could have seen his face when he read your reply. Ha ha!

Keep moving forward girl!

P.S…have you guys set a date for the wedding?

Liked by 1 person

7. I don’t like my good state being given a bad rep by people like that.
    There’s a lot of good here…as there is everywhere.

If dear future Jane takes anything away from your blog, it will be that she was loved, fiercely loved…. and that the only “stranger to add to her misery” are hateful words by little people.

For what it’s worth, I admire the hell out of you. I was a single mother for many many years and it’s not easy even when you’re not getting hated on.

Liked by 1 person

8. Jess says:

Perfection! Calling out creeps is the best thing we can do on social media. If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, but you would hidden behind a username, there’s a lot wrong with you.

Congrats on all the happy you have going on! 🙂 I have loved following your updates through the years! -signed, a non creepy human mom lady from Canada ;D

Liked by 1 person

9. Shana says:

I know you probably won’t approve this because, well – language- but I just have to say: What. The. Hell?!?!

So, dude is friends with your former mother-in-laws best friend? That’s a hell of a connection. And based on this fourth degree of Kevin Bacon, he feels emboldened to proclaim the truth on your blog (except not, because he used a fake name)? Really? What grade are we in again? Oh – that’s right – he’s an adult. Who took the time to read the blog of a person he doesn’t like and then create a bogus email account for the sole purpose of posting rude and hateful comments. Awesome. Way to be a human being. Slow clap please for the dick in row five.

I found your blog several years ago and really enjoy your voice and style. You have a wonderful way with words and I enjoy reading about your experiences. You are so wonderfully candid and honest about subjects that get swept under the rug far too often. I really admire how you have handled and discussed your divorce and the accompanying fallout. You have not once bashed your ex, or accused him of anything on your blog. In fact, you don’t even mention him that much anymore (which is the way it should be – hello, that whole moving on thing?).

Anyway, I think you’re awesome and I can’t wait to read about your adventures in New York.

Shana

Liked by 3 people

10. Julie M says:

Arrgggh, I had a long comment all typed out and I lost it!! Anyway, hi Liz, I live in Ireland and I’ve been following your blog and the previous one for several years, have always enjoyed your writing, and have admired you tremendously during the past few years in particular. Well done for outing this flying monkey troll (is there such a species?!!!), you personally have shown perfect dignity online, but sometimes these things have to be confronted head-on.

Best wishes to you, Jane and your lovely Fayez as you build your new life all together.

Julie

Liked by 1 person

11. Rebecca says:

Good.For.You. Liz. I am one who thinks trolls should be outed. I know alot of bloggers will just delete the post and move on, believing they have taken the high road. But, if you are certain about who the troll is, and you are able to out the person, then I believe you have a responsibility to do so. Hopefully it shuts that person down and prevents it from continuing. Good for you, Liz, for standing up and speaking out!

Liked by 2 people

12. Jackie says:

I am convinced if we all started looking at the logs in our own eyes, we wouldn’t have time to look for splinters, or furthermore being down right mean. We would be so humbled by our own shortcomings that we wouldn’t dare be mean to others. Don’t let the trolls steal your joy!

13. Bridget says:

I think I could visit Houston on the basis of meeting some nice people like CAndice and Lemon…maybe other places in Texas too. After all, I would not like to paint with too broad of a brush.

14. Tracey says:

Oh gosh, this is amazing. I know what it is like to try so hard to be the better person and not raise a fuss. But sometimes people are simply VILE, and need to be exposed. What disgusting behavior! It is difficult to focus on the good and the wonderful when there is a pile of garbage sitting in the way. I am glad you took out the trash. 🙂

15. tracyjeand says:

Hi Liz, I have been reading for a long time but have never commented. I have always been rooting for you and am really happy for you, Jane and Fayez. Trolls are a sad breed, sorry you have to deal with them.

16. Crystal says:

Sounds like this Thomas Craig Robinson is a sad little man with too much time on his sad little hands.

Living well (and as you please) is the best revenge. The hell with anyone who doesn’t like it.

17. Dawn W says:

I’ve followed you from your “used to be” days and have nothing but admiration for you. Glad you outed the troll. You’ve got more fans than trolls in Texas!

18. Sharon says:

Unbelievable! All I can say to the troll is I would hate to be in your shoes. Pride cometh before a fall. You are an amazingly strong woman, Liz, and I am so happy that you have found true love and happiness.